Oh yes, I am mildly obsessed with the magical stuff. There is a running joke amongst myself and Evan that in response to any health question/ cleaning question/ general what-do-I-use-for-this question my answer is almost always VINEGAR! Sore throat? drink VINEGAR! Clogged drain? pour VINEGAR!
Vinegar is a great all around unbelievably useful and CHEAP alternative to almost every single thing in your life. Trust me.
One of my favorite things about it is that it is completely safe and natural, which means using it all over the house is ok for pets (or kids, if you have those). It's naturally disinfecting which is why it can be used to clean the bathroom AND kill a sore throat.
I generally stick to an Apple Cider Vinegar for all things body related and White Vinegar for all else rule. Also, I "splurge" on the organic raw Bragg ACV (it has more active enzymes and whatnot if it has not been distilled) but buy the cheapo white stuff by the gallon).
- Put a table spoon in a glass of water if you have an upset stomach or feel a cold coming on, or after you've had a lot to eat; it will help settle your stomach, aids in digestion and helps fight colds.
- Add a few drops to pet's water; it'll naturally deter bugs, and helps keep their skin and coat healthy.
- Soak a cotton ball in ACV and smear on your skin if you have acne or eczema.
- Apparently drinking a bit of it every day helps to lose weight.
- If the shower head is not performing at full speed, take it off and soak it in warm white vinegar for about 30 minutes. It will clear away any build up inside.
- If your pet had an accident in the house, spraying the spot with vinegar kills the smell, keeping them from going back to the same spot to do their business.
- Soak/spray wooden cutting boards with a mixture of vinegar and water (I keep a spray bottle under the sink) to kill any germs.
- Run a mix of vinegar and water through your coffee pot to clean it (which makes for much better coffee, mind you).
- Spray the windows and wipe off with black and white newspaper.
- If the drain is slow, pour some baking soda down it followed by vinegar (remember making volcanos in elementary school? Same reaction). Run the water about 10 minutes later to clean it out.
- Put some vinegar on a clean rag with a few drops of essential oil and throw in the dryer with the wash, eco dryer sheet!