January 28, 2012

Cast iron skillet! German Pancakes!

I received a cast iron skillet for Christmas, and I can honestly say HOW DID I COOK WITHOUT ONE?! I love it. I love it so much. I want to make everything in it all the time.

The other night I decided to make what in my family we called German Pancakes.  Who knows if that is actually what they are, but it is simple, and it bubbles up beautifully and is a delicious warm winter treat.

4 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup flour (I used whole wheat, but white would work just as well)
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons soft butter

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Put the eggs in the blender and blend until it's a light yellowish color.  Turn it down a notch and continue to add the other ingredients until it's smooth.  Poor the batter into the cast iron skillet of magical wonder and put in the oven.  After 20 minutes, turn the heat down to 350 and cook for another 10 minutes.  We top ours with warmed cinnamon brown sugar apples and vanilla yogurt, but really anything would work!


No comments:

Post a Comment