October 28, 2010

for the love of French

I love all things French.  The language, the country, but most of all I LOVE the food.  And I love how the French love their food.  Each meal, snack or drink is meant to be the best.  No skimping, no eating just to eat.  The idea of a fresh local food movement probably doesn't even translate into French, because why wouldn't you be eating the freshest food already?  Why buy produce from anyone other than the farmer down the road?  Why eat day old bread when you can eat a fresh loaf baked today?  I have wonderful memories of the Cazo bread truck (well, actually it was a van) pulling into town early every morning honking it's horn, it's doors opening to an array of unbelievably fresh (and still warm!) baked goods spread out in the back.  And it was just so NORMAL to everyone!  I've never tasted a croissant so perfect, it's buttery flakes melting in my mouth.

On Saturday, two of my best friends and I were able to see a screening of "Kings of Pastry" during the Philadelphia Film Festival.  Sixteen emotional, talented and obsessive French pastry chefs took part in a 3 day "test" of their skills to be titled a "Meilleurs Ouvriers de France" (best craftsman of France).  Nicolas Sarkozy was even there! It's a big deal!  Grown men were crying over spilled pastry!  If you get a chance, I highly recommend the film.  You'll never feel so emotionally connected to sugar again.


KINGS OF PASTRY Theatrical Trailer from Pennebaker Hegedus Films on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment