January 27, 2011

I'd rather be in Paris

In case you didn't see the news, or notice 99 percent of Facebook statuses saying things like "Snowmygosh!" or "no school AGAIN!", or if you've just been living in a cave, the Northeast got slammed with another huge snow storm last night.  And, this storm brought about a new experience for me- Thunder Snow!  I didn't even know that was possible, but there it was; lightning, thunder, rain and snow, all intermingling outside my apartment window.   I have to say, it was really quite a beautiful sight at first.  Once the rain stopped, and the heavy snow set in, the city was under a thick blanket of white, everything was quiet, and those who were out walking were taking pictures, throwing snowballs and laughing.  This morning, I helped (watched) my friend dig her car out, and two very sweet young men came armed with shovels and did in 5 minutes what would have taken us ages.  And, they did not solicit payment.  They simply said "pass it on, pass it on".  Oh, the world just felt so full of joy and happiness!  I would have skipped to work if it was not dangerous and I was not wearing my Yaktracks!  

And then an hour later the sun came out, and started melting and ruining everything.  Some estimates said we got 17 inches, which in a city with cobblestone streets and trolley lines spells out MESS. So the streets are now filled with slush, and people are honking and driving too fast, their wheels spinning up huge splashes of dirty brown sludge water on to pedestrians.  At lunch, I stepped in puddles, I slipped on ice, I had a chunk of snow fall on my head off of a dripping rooftop.  It's not pretty anymore and I do not want more snow!  

So, rather than complaining and dreading the walk home, what better way to cheer myself up than to look at some beautiful color theme shots of Paris from Little Brown Pen?


No comments:

Post a Comment