June 6, 2011

Summer is here

Well, it's official.  It's Summer.


I know this, not because the weather forecast looks like this:


Or because all I want to do is eat my food in cold liquid form:

Or because all I can seem to do today is lay on the couch sweating while watching the these classy ladies: 
all that fur is making me sweat more

But because I have seen the return of COLD PRESS COFFEE!

Finally, the local shops have started serving it! PTL! 

I am a snob when it comes to my summer coffee drink, you should know.  When I order it at a coffee shop, I ask at least twice to be sure it is COLD PRESS and not iced coffee.  And IF for some reason I end up with an icky cup of watered down drip coffee, I will be cranky, so stay clear of me.  I was introduced to a fantastic cafe this past weekend, where the barista clearly understood the seriousness of a good cold press, and even offered me a small sample, as if a wine tasting, so I could be sure the brew was up to par.  It was good, and I was in heaven.

Cold press, dear friends, is exponentially better than iced coffee and I'll tell you why.  Many people make a hot pot of drip coffee, then dump it over ice- melting a good portion of the ice and watering the coffee down.  Some think ahead, and stick the pot of hot coffee in the fridge, which is a step up, but hot drip coffee turned cold tastes like burnt left over coffee.  Never good.

With cold press, heat is never used to brew- which means there is never that burnt flavor, and since it is already cold, no need to pour over ice and watering it down!  It also is surprisingly less acidic, so it's easier on your belly.  You can make it at home, it's super easy, you just have to plan ahead (as in, the night before). Simply mix your grinds in cold water, soak overnight and then filter it through a french press or coffee filters. YUM!

However, BE WARNED- it makes you crazy.  Something about the caffeine... it's intense...




No comments:

Post a Comment