December 13, 2010

pumpkin muffins

Sunday evenings are when I typically tap into my domestic goddess side and find myself cleaning, painting my nails, sewing, and of course, baking.  Last night was no different, and as I looked in the fridge for food that needed to be used up, I discovered pumpkin puree, eggs, and oddly, leftover steel cut oatmeal from the morning that I just couldn't get myself to throw out.  So, I read a few recipes (hello Smitten Kitchen! My favorite recipe site!), then didn't really follow any of them, and made some very yummy pumpkin muffins! I'm a big fan of throwing in all that extra stuff you need to use up, or things to make it feel a little healthier, hence the flax, wheat germ and oats. If you don't add all of these extra dry ingredients, omit some of the pumpkin so they don't turn out mushy or overly moist.

Somewhat healthy pumpkin muffins

 Preheat oven to 350, put paper liners in your muffin tin

I forgot to take a picture, so I drew you one instead!
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup already cooked steel cut oats 
A handful of ground flax seed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs

1 teaspoonish all spice
1 teaspoonish nutmeg
1/2 teaspoonsh ginger 
1 teaspoonish cinnamon, I probably added way more than that
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Wisk together the pumpkin, eggs, sugar, spices, oil and baking soda until smooth.  Add the flour, wheat germ, oats, flax and baking powder until just mixed. Spoon into the tins, and fill each one up about 2/3 full.  Sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar and bake about 25 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.  Let cool for about 5 minutes in the pan and then move to a cooling rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment